Dniprodzerzhynsk district

Dnipropetrovskа region

Victims: 862

The population of Romankovo village (Dnipropetrovska region, now the village is the part of Kamianske city) suffered from the Holodomor-genocide of 1932-1933.

At that time, 4000 to 5000 people lived in Romankovo village at that time. During only 5 months of 1933, 588 people died. General number of the dead from famine in Romankovo village is unknown. As it is written in the “Book of Statements of Deaths of Romankovo registry office,” (it is kept in New York, in the Library of Shevchenko Scientific Society, the collection of the documents “Ukrainian Holodomor of the 1930s”), people were dying from the acute pain (when they ate the bark of the trees), dropsy and organism exhaustion. It is also written, that many children of different age died.

The dead from starvation were buried at the old cemetery, created in 1880 on the land of the local inhabitant I. S. Lyzhnik, who gave it to the local community for the burying of the dead. At this place, there still exists the stone with the sign “cemetery people 1800 Serh. Lyzhnik.”

This cemetery is located to the left from the border stone. It verges with Pyvovara, Volochaivska Streets, and the private gardens on Trypilska Street.

During the last 20 years, the square of this cemetery decreased almost twice. There are certain graves with crosses and the dates of the burials.

The part of the cemetery, which was saved from the excavation, is wanted to receive the status of the historical monument. This territory has typical wavy relief with the hills over the graves, the square of which is 2 to 4 square meters. According to the people who were excavating the pits for the new burials on the cemetery, where the Holodomor victims are buried, they found sometimes the burials consisting of several people.

NGO “Romankovo Bells of 1932-1933” (“Romankivski Dzvony 1932-1933 r.”) wasnts to perpetuate the memory of the Holodomor victims from Romankovo and to install the monument with the names of the dead, and the memorial sign at the old cemetery on Volochaivska Street, where these people were buried.