The population of Velyka Berezianka village (Tarashchanskyi district, Kyivska region) suffered from the Holodomor-genocide of 1932-1933.
In 1926, two fellowships for common ground cultivation were created. One of them was called “Rainbow” (“Veselka”), which was located in the “Spire” (“Shpyl”) district of the village under the leadership of Klym Shpyliovyi. The other was called “Star” (“Zirka”), it was located in the center of the village, and its head was M. H. Onoprienko. In 1927, there were already 8 such fellowships:
- “Read Plowman” (“Chervonyi Khliborob”), the village corner Mykolynky, head Khoma Fedun.
- “Red Star” (“Chervona Zirka”), the village corner Tsentr, head K. Shpyliovyi.
- “Red Ravine” (“Chervonyi Yar”), the village corner Yar, head A. P. Lukianchenko.
- “Red Community” (“Chervona Hromada”), the village corner Shpyl, head Shpyliovyi.
- “New Life” (“Nove Zhyttia”), the village corner Tsentr, head I. Ya. Huran.
- “Oak Wedge” (“Dubovyi Klyn”), the village corner Dubyna, head D. Stepanets.
- “Work of Unity” (“Pratsia Yednosti”), the village corner Dubyna, head S. Nedodara.
- “Cheerful section” (“Veselyo Rozdil”), the village corner Dubyna, head M. Hrazhdan.
In 1928 H. L. Kucheruk was elected to be the head of the village council. He was occupying this elective position until 1960. In 1931, the artels of the village were united into one artel “Communist” (“Komunar”). Its head became Ivan Oliinyk, who was repressed in 1937.
In 1932, the inhabitants of the village were not dying massively, the dead were buries in separate graves. However, in winter of 1933, the mass famine started, whole families were dying. The village authorities organized collecting of the corpses: each from three collective farms gave the dray (wagon harnessed by horses) and two persons. They were riding through the village and taking away the bodies of the dead from the houses, yards, and streets, throwing them to large pit at the cemetery. When one pit was full, the other one was created nearby.
The executives of the Holodomor policy were Andron Hnativskyi, Kucheruk, Yakiv Kochuba, Yakiv Radchenko. The head of the collective farm Fedir Shcherbak, and Hapka Radchenko, Hrazhdan Mykola were helping their co-villagers to survive.
The general number of those dead from starvation is 750 people. In 2003, at the mass burials places (cemetery, two graves), memorial signs were installed due to the initiative of the students of local brass band. The sign are the stone and wooden crosses.