The population of Dmytrushky village (Umanskyi district, Cherkaska region) suffered from Holodomor-genocide of 1932-1933 in Ukraine.
The sowing campaign of 1932 was difficult. There was a lack of draught power, despite there were already several tractors in the village. However, they broke down often, but there were not enough spare parts for them.
As of May 5, 1932, only 18.8% of early spring wheat was sawn (21.301 hectares needed to be sawn; but only 3.669 hectares were sawn actually). There were 9744 horses in the district, the half of them were unsuitable for work, because there was no fodder. The destruction of agriculture reached catastrophic scales. There was the lack of food products, inflectional diseases, such as dysentery or anthrax were spreading rapidly. Despite the state authorities allowed commerse in the villages, this did not improve the situation. In Dmytrushky village, the mortality was mass. Every day 5 or 6 people died from starvation.
First, the dead were buried at the cemetery. Later, people buried their relatives everywhere they could: in the gardens, in the outskirts of the village. There was the dray from kolkhoz, which was bringing the corpses to the common pit. The eyewitnesses tell that such cart drove up once to the house of Kuzmenko Hryhorii Yefremovych. They saw that he was very exhausted and told him:
“Get on the dray, we will not drive for your again!”
They took him on the dray and brought him to the cemetery. While they were driving across the well, he asked for water. The drivers got some water and gave it him. At the same time, a relative of Hryhorii Yefremovych was walking down the road, (she was going back from Uman) and gave him a piece of bread. He ate it, and they did not bring him to bury.
According to the telling of locals, a lot of people died during Holodomor, about 1000 persons. The village had big population. Nowadays, only 41 people are identified. There is one fraternal grave in the yard of private house on Sadova street, the other one is the grave of Pentiuk family on Pershotravneva street. A lot of common pits are located at the cemetery.
Here you can see one of the places of mass burials. On May 25, 2014 the village council together with the local activists installed the monument there.