The population of Sulymivka village (Yahotynskyi district, Kyivska region) suffered from the Holodomor-genocide.
Collectivization and dekulakization in the village were performed by the head of the village council V. H. Vlasenko and the representative from the district Ivan Radchenko. In 1930, the collective farm called “Spikelet” (“Kolos”) was created. Ya. M. Zhezhera was elected to be its head.
Before the Holodomor, there were 482 yards in the Sulymivka village, where 2900 people lived.
After the Holodomor, the population accounted for 1600 people. The harvest that year was rich, but the peasants were not given the bread for the working days, because winter wheat was collected by those peasants, who gave it for the sowing in autumn.
In winter and autumn of 1932, not only was the wheat taken out from the collective farm, but also all food was confiscated from all peasants’ farms. As a result, spring and summer of 1933 became the period of terrible famine. General number of the dead from the Holodomor of 1932-1933, according to the words of these events’ eyewitnesses, is about 1300 people.
In April of 1992, at the village cemetery, where the mass graves of the Holodomor victims are located, the memorial sign to the Holdomor victims was installed due to the initiative of Sulymivska village council.