The population of Piyi village (Myronivskyi district, Kyivska region) suffered from the Holodomor-genocide of 1932-1933 in Ukraine.
In 1929, 29 poor peasants’ farms united in the collective farm named “Chervonyi Pluhatar” (“Red Plowman”). Its head was V. O. Kovtun.
At the beginning of 1930s’, the village belonged to Rzhyshchivskyi district. There were 500 yards, after the Holodomor 450 left. According to the memories of the village inhabitants who suffered from the starvation, during hungry 1932-1933, more than 100 people died. 44 persons are identified, 17 of them are children.
The head of the collective farm D. S. Oliinyk and members of the village council helped people to survive. The head of the kolkhoz Davyd Savovych Oliinyk was sentenced to 3.5 years of imprisonment for wasting of grain. He died in prison. Howsoever, it was not possible to save all the peasants from the death, planned by the communist system. The dead were buried near their houses, these was no one to carry the bodies far. That’s why there are five cemeteries, where the Holodomor victims are buried. Sometimes the corpses were thrown to the pits for potatoes near the houses. For example, the family of Ilko Slyva was buried this way.
At the mass burial of Holodomor victims, located at the village cemetery, the obelisk was installed in 1991.