The population of Ozirna village (Zvenyhorodskyi district, Cherkaska region) suffered from Holodomor-genocide of 1932-1933 in Ukraine. About 1200 people died. At the cemetery, there is the place of mass burial of Holodomor victims. The eyewitnesses recall that in 1933 this place was called “the black hole.” Among 1200 dead people, 395 names of Holodomor victims were established.
Holodomor in Ozirna village started in autumn of 1932. From December of 1932 to May of 1-33, more than 500 inhabitants of the village died. The corpses, buried at the cemetery, belonged not only to the inhabitants of Ozirna, but also to people who died from exhaustion on the building of the railway. The corpses were brought together and thrown into the pits with no reckoning.
In March of 1997, near the Memorial cross to Holodomor victims, the stone wall with the minted names of dead from starvation on it. In 1990, at the place of memorial cross, the monument to Holodomor victims was installed. In 2010, there was held the reconstruction, and the words “We wanted to live” were minted. Under the sign, the established names of the inhabitants of the village, who were executed by starvation, are written.